401 E North 1st Street, Seneca, SC 29678
Listing Presented By
Retail Building - Seneca, SC
This historic property was the Piedmont Pharmacy operated by Dr. Harold E Hill and family. Dr. Hill moved to Seneca in 1936, first establishing his pharmacy at the N/E corner of Main Street and Walnut Street. Their business operated successfully there until building at 401 East North 1st Street in the mid-50's (though the Assessors record shows 1972). Harvey B Gantt, the first African American student admitted to Clemson, lived in the basement of this building for some period while attending college. The Piedmont Pharmacy had a soda fountain and served sandwiches, attracting people from as far away as Taccoa and Greenville. Traffic was especially heavy here being on "Highway 123," running from Taccoa to Greenville. The store was especially busy on Sunday afternoons as a gathering place after church. The building is 1,360 SF plus a full basement, and is being sold "as-is." Location, location, location; you can't go "anywhere" downtown without passing this building located with a corner traffic signal.
Last Updated: October 13, 2017
Posted: July 31, 2015